The yearly General Assembly is the highest organ in EMH. It has the following duties and authorities:
- to approve the financial guidelines of the association;
- to approve the financial report of the treasurer;
- to approve general policies for the work of the association and a yearly strategic plan;
- to approve the activity reports of the GB and the DM;
- to determine membership fees;
- to appoint the members of the GB;
- to appoint committees and give guidance to their policies;
- to approve Honorary Members;
- to decide about the place in which the head office of the association shall be located;
- to decide about new membership applications;
- to discuss any other relevant topic in connection with maritime heritage and to issue resolutions thereto as may be appropriate;
- to amend the Articles of Association;
- to dissolve the association.
The members of the association have the following voting rights:
- each National Member has the right to cast ten votes at the General Assembly
- each Regional Member has the right to cast six votes at the General Assembly, if there are more Regional Members from the same Country they have only the right to cast ten votes together.
- each Advisory Member has the right to cast one vote at the General Assembly;
- each Associate Member has the right to cast one vote at the General Assembly;
- Honorary Members and/or suspended members do not have voting rights.
- All the members of the association, any member of the GB who is not a member of the Association, and all provisional members have access to the General Assembly.